Monday, November 06, 2006

There's Always A Beginning...


Me and my new buddy

That's me...someone who has just discovered life through the view of a lens...the camera lens that is...hehehe..Not bad. Not bad at all. It all happened quite suddenly. It was a couple of days before Hari Raya when my dear S dragged me to Pertama Complex. Pertama Complex??? Yuck! Of all the places, that's one place I loath going to. The traffic, the crowd, not to mention the choice (or rather the lack of it) of things to shop...what do we girls hope to shop there anyway? Sulkily (but I was sensitive enough not to show it...) I followed S to the said place. I knew what he was up to....the only place there that attracted him was the camera shop!

You see, S is an ardent fan of photography...kinda obsessed with it to be more accurate. He already owns 2 cameras! I never could comprehend why a person needs so many cameras. He has the F100 and the D100. And at that point of time in Pertama Complex, I had the feeling that this was not just a "look, see" excursion. He was going to add more to his already bulky camera bag. Hmmm.....yup, true enough, voila! the chinese camera shop man whipped out a D200! Oh..oh...I thought.

An hour later after lots of oohhs and aahhs, we left the shop a few thousand ringgit poorer! We left with not just a D200 but with a D50 as well! The D50? It's not his. It's mine! Me, the one person who really wasn't interested in any hobby in particular (save for shopping..hehe). Me, the one person who was perplexed by S's need to go out to snap away. You see, S is the kinda guy who will sulk and sulk if he didn't get his fix of snapping pictures. And S is the kinda guy who will sulk more if he didn't get anybody to accompany or rather join him on those photography trips. So, what is S to do? Recruit a "potential" photo buddy! S presented me the D50 and said, " My Anniversary gift to you". I was gobsmacked. What? Anniversary gift? I would rather get an expensive watch (equivalent to the money spent on the D50) or even a trip to Koh Samui or even Bali again. But the ever gracious me, protested only once and then thanked him for the"gift" thinking what the h*ll was i going to do with that camera.

Well, to cut the story short, few weeks on, here I am..a trigger happy gal. Hahaha! My first "project" was during the recent Hari Raya. Snap, snap, snap. Snap here. Snap there. Almost everybody was not spared. It was more a point and shoot kind of picture taking. I was on the first phase of bonding with my camera. Some pics came out ok and some were absolutely Trash Bin material...hehe. The second project, it was a trip to the zoo. I organised the trip. With the boys in tow. Not so much because I was treating the boys with the zoo trip, rather because I wanted to snap away. This time more seriously done with the correct filters, telephoto lens, apetures and shutterspeeds. Yeay! I had fun! Needless to say so did my dear S. Some pictures came out beautifully (well, at least to my beginner's standard). I was hooked! More locations and objects to discover perhaps?? Bring it on S!!!

Feel free to browse through some of my best production (ehem!) so far...




Birds of a feather flock together...




Boat by the lake...


I may be slow, but I can be mean..!


Whatcha lookin at huh?


S, engrossed with his new toy


S with his D200

10 comments:

Soul_Voice said...

Such talent for a beginner I must say. Beautiful birds too. Better than haze la...heheheehe!
Next project....take pictures of all the gals....US!
Now "S" got competitor or start taking each other's pictures?

Love always.

Anonymous said...

bravoo!

Qamarul said...

You have finally captured the Santini doing his stuff ! I must say you have a keen eye for photography.

sitynuress said...

yeyyyyyyyyyyyy my boss is now blogging eeheheh ..

Soul_Voice said...

I actually thought you were taking a picture of one Ah Pek, don't know doing what?...sorry la..its "S"
I must say he look better from a distance. hahhahha!.
Not finally have a keen eye la "S"...keeping an eye all the time. Now you know.
Keep up the good work..looking forward for more.

Anonymous said...

photographer tagline
it's not the camera it's the 'man' behind the camera....so it doesnt matter wat camera u're using but the 'result' must be great!!

maya karin

Anonymous said...

Wow.. Beautiful photos of the birds using telephoto lenses. I really envy you two and sincerely hope to join you all in the next session.

Uncle Joe

Wautz said...

Mr S...heheheh i thought he is Mr K?
anyway...
u got a good eye..
just keep shootin' till the D200s understand that it is not the camera..but the one who uses it ..

cheesecake said...

Thank you guys for your comments. Good or bad, they are very much appreciated. If you think you can help me improve my shots next time please do not hesitate to post your input here.

damaq53 said...

i like your pictures. they are more subject orientated (shouldn't they be?) i think you have that flair for composition and mood. talking about 'mood', it is all well and good when taking pictures in daylight...`what about night time? a lot of things are still visible to the eye and the mood can be very evocative...but most cameras cannot capture it. i think you will love discovering the 'available light photography'. this time you'll buy the camera and say," gua makan bubur pun tak apa!" hehehe.
sam