Monday, March 12, 2007

Down In The Dumps

I am not in a cheery mood of late. Something to do with my paintings. Yeah, I managed to produce 2 paintings perhaps 3 in between my last charcoal posting and this, but somehow I am just not jumping with joy about the results. I know they are not that bad (by kids' standard I suppose : ( ) but I feel that I am simply not progressing. I need to do more, I need to do better but somehow I feel stuck. Now I am so into Van Gogh's paintings and his techniques and use of colours. His work is so striking and captivating. To me some of them look childlike but powerful. I read a lot about him too and about his sad life. But even so, he managed to produce about 200 paintings within months. Imagine. I just admire his brush strokes, his intense colours and the simplicity of his subjects. Even a chair painted by him is seen as something extraordinary...

Well, back to me. Yeah..I don't think I can ever express it in words but simply put, if i had the magical talent of Van Gogh I would be in 7th heaven as I have a lot to express which I simply can't do in writing (not good at this) . Neither can I do it through art if I do not overcome this stumbling block ie better skills in drawing and paint execution. I am learning, I am working on it but it's a really long, difficult and lonely road especially when I am doing this on my own.

But I, for once, told myself "If you are passionate about this, then persevere." To my loved ones and friends, I thank you for your support and encouragement.


"The only time I feel alive is when I am painting" - Vincent Van Gogh

No comments: